Monday, May 20, 2013

Daring Greatly Book Study: Chapter 1

1. Scarcity- Does the constant perception of scarcity in your life haunt you?

Um.... YES! Hence using the word "haunt" in the question.   Seriously, I have a husband and 7 children. we live on one moderately low income considering our local economy, we live in a house that's 1250 sq. feet.  We have enough of everything we need.  95 percent (if my statistics are right) of the world live with far less than us, and yet we are held hostage in one way or another by the idea that "enough"=more.   We have healthy food to eat, we have clothing, we have a roof over our head, we have medical care, we have ENOUGH.  Why do we so often not feel like it?!

2. On Page 21, or Kindle location 299, Dr. Brown speaks of how narcissism is not relieved by cutting people down to size, because most likely narcissism is caused by shame.   Do you have any narcissistic people in your life? Does this description sound accurate to you?

Yes.  and that's all I'm going to say on a public forum, BUT, I will also add that I do wholeheartedly agree that shame plays a domineering role in the person in my life who tends toward the narcissistic.  Which is frustrating.  You can't fix someone else's shame.

3. Do you think our culture contributes to a sense of "not being enough?"  Any thoughts on the questions posed on page 23, location 323?

Yes.  I think that we are in a very materialistic place where we are expected to have all, do all, and be all.  its very difficult in light of that, to see ourselves as enough.

4.  On page 25-  a quote-  Does this resonate with anyone?


Before we even sit up in bed, before our feet touch the floor, we're already inadequate, already behind, already losing, already lacking something.  And by the time we go to bed at night, our minds are racing with a litany of what we didn't get, or didn't get done that day. 

Yes.  Most certainly it does! I describe my job as a mother as the most guilt inducing job ever.  I will NEVER be successful at it.   I know I could go in the workforce and be VERY successful at any number of things.  But my heart is here, and i choose to do THIS job, despite it being so very hard, and so very hard to feel successful at.  I never realized before that in having this kind of thought pattern, I was setting myself up for failure, never considering myself to be "enough"  So what if we don't do everything on the curriculum plan today.  So what if we take a month to read a particular book! that's so silly!  Honestly, my success as a mother lies in how engaged I am.  If i'm zoned out, just eeking through life, i'm going to be less successful, even if i get MORE done.

5.  Enough questions for me today.  Can you ask a question? What important point did I miss? 

No comments:

Post a Comment